Program Coordinator – Syria NES (local position) – Syrian Arab Republic
The Program Coordinator will assist the Norwegian People’s Aid (NPA) Syria Program Manager and Development Team with programs related to Civil Society, Democracy, CVE, Women’s Empowerment and Rights of man in Syria.
The Program Coordinator is responsible and reports to the Program Manager.
Program planning and implementation is carried out in coordination with the PM, project managers, finance team and other supporting units and under the overall responsibility of the CD.
The position is based in NES, Syria, with travel to other areas of operations as required, and to the Eribl office.
Note that travel to other provinces will be essential.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for managing and monitoring projects related to civil society, democracy, women’s empowerment and human rights, in accordance with the strategies , NPA’s overall plans and policies.
- In coordination with the PM, coordinate with all relevant stakeholders, local and national authorities and other organizations engaged in development initiatives and task forces in Syria.
- Assist the PM in the process of partner identification and verification, due diligence and partner dialogues.
- Guide project managers to maintain active coordination and cooperation with local partners, I/NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Closely monitor the status of CSOs, conflict dynamics and political context in Syria and keep the team informed accordingly.
- Under the leadership of CD Iraq and in cooperation with the PM, ensure adequate risk management in NPA project activities, including streamlining the integration of risk and security management perspectives into all strategic processes and programmatic.
Specific tasks and responsibilities:
- Support the Program Manager in the daily management of the program and relevant projects.
- Follow up with project managers in project management and provide the necessary support.
- In coordination with project managers and the program team, support the PM to oversee the implementation of project activities according to plans and budgets.
- Coordinate and support project managers in the development and monitoring of work plans, budgets and progress reports required by NPA donors, as well as any reports required from partner organizations.
- Contribute to monitoring project expenditures with PM and Finance, and develop monthly expenditure projections.
- Contribute to the monitoring of grant agreements and sub-agreements with partners.
- Work with the PM to monitor and revise budgets as needed.
- Close coordination with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) department, to prepare and regularly update Project Monitoring Plans (PMPs).
- Participate in grant opening meetings, carry out the required preparation for the meeting and strictly follow the decisions made during the meeting.
- With project managers, support partner organizations in the process of writing proposals, budgets, logical framework and implementation plans. Review and provide feedback on partner application, contracts and budgets (originals and amendments).
- Support the Project Managers in organizing the project kick-off meeting and steering committee meetings on a quarterly basis, providing materials to partners and organizing the agenda in liaison with the PM.
- Oversee the management of partner contracts with project managers, ensuring full compliance, timeliness and quality of implementation and reporting in financial and narrative reporting, and in cooperation with other units of the NPA. Follow up with project managers on partner budget expenditures and assist with installment payment requests.
- With the field team, make regular visits and follow up communication with partners to monitor the implementation of project activities and provide support.
- Accompaniment and mentoring of project managers if necessary.
- Contribute to the conduct of appraisal meetings with potential local partners, to solicit their proposals and concept notes to the NPA.
- Together with the project managers, the capacity building coordinator carries out the necessary assessments for the capacity building of the partners and develops plans and tools for capacity building, as well as appropriate follow-up.
- Support the team and partners in writing financial and narrative proposals and reports to ensure good quality, timeliness, accuracy, respond to donor requests and improve project implementation.
- Review and provide input on project proposals, reports and information materials.
- With or on behalf of the PM, represent the NPA at official events such as conferences and meetings organized by stakeholders.
- Other duties assigned by Program Manager and/or Country Director in relation to program issues.
Program and thematic responsibility:
- Assist the Program Manager in the strategic planning of the program and provide inputs with the aim of setting high quality technical and performance objectives, ensuring compliance with industry standards, best practices, strategic objectives of the NPA, the manual program and donor guidelines.
- Coordinate to ensure the implementation of adequate procedures for the management of relations with partners, the management and monitoring of programs and the integration of financial management.
- Assist the PM and support the team to regularly assess strategic partnerships and program partners to ensure relevance, impact, compliance, transparency and congruence with NPA’s Partnership Policy, Partnership Agreement partnership as well as the strategic objectives of NPA.
- Based on the partner’s institutional assessment, ensure necessary plans for partner capacity building and oversee and guide technical and financial assistance to partner organizations.
- In collaboration with the MEAL team, provide high-level monitoring, evaluation, reporting and information management, identify areas for improvement and support necessary program revisions.
Typical Decisions Made by the Job Holder
Reference is made to the NPA Regulations on Delegation or Authority, Quality Management and Guidelines for the NPA Office in Iraq.
- University degree in political science, human rights, development or law, or equivalent experience in relevant sectors with a reputable INGO or UN.
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in development programming, including 3 years of project management experience, in one or more of the following sectors: civil society, CVE, political processes, freedom of expression, women’s empowerment, human rights, media and access to information, natural resource management, SGBV, political/social cohesion, community participation, etc.
- Strong budget and program management and leadership skills and proven track record, with the ability to inspire and build staff skills and drive results through others, particularly in a partnership setting local.
- Excellent analytical and needs assessment skills, experience in developing the capacities of local organizations.
- Good communication, organizational and analytical skills and ability to work well in a team.
- Written and verbal fluency in English is essential, as well as verbal fluency in Arabic.
- Successful experience as a project manager in an international context in collaboration with local partners.
- Experience with remote (remote) management tools and working with local NGO partners, including capacity building and organizational support to partners.
- Solid knowledge of cultural and political contexts and development issues in Syria and the NES.
- Strong technical and coordination skills, with the ability to lead, inspire and build the skills of implementing partner staff and achieve results through others.
Personal skills :
- Autonomous with integrity, initiative and the ability to think and work independently
- Strong communication, networking and interpersonal skills
- The Program Coordinator must follow Norwegian People’s Aid’s policies and personal code of conduct and represent the organization fairly and responsibly.
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, including verification and due diligence.
How to register
How to register:
Candidates can send their CV with contact details and telephone number to: [email protected] before the closing date July 16, 2022
The contract is for 6 months with the possibility of extension.
Please mention the title of the vacant position: Program Coordinator – NES in the subject of your e-mail; Resumes received after the closing date will not be considered.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.