ASM Microbiology Mentorship Package | Mirage News
What is the Microbiology Mentorship Program?
The ASM Microbiology Mentorship Program provides a systematic and structured approach to guiding clinical microbiology technologists toward improving technical skills and laboratory quality management systems. Working with an experienced ASM mentor leads to increased reliability of reported results to improve patient care and increased clinical responder confidence in the work of the laboratory.
Working with institutions and funders, and under the guidance of an experienced ASM mentor, the program is adaptable to a lab’s specific needs and context. ASM mentors also facilitate train-the-trainer programs, enabling the next generation of mentors to continue the work in their labs.
Who benefits from participating in this program?
- Clinical laboratory technologists who wish to deepen their understanding of microbiological procedures and techniques, develop standard operating procedures, establish internal quality control programs, and generally improve laboratory quality management.
- Clinical laboratory managers with leadership roles.
- Laboratories in the process of internationally recognized accreditation.
- Experienced and aspiring clinical laboratory mentors.
How does the program work?
The Microbiology Mentorship Program is suitable for long-term or short-term mentorship and begins with a needs assessment. ASM experts work with participating labs to assess the quality of existing documents and procedures and develop personalized goals and an actionable plan for mentorship.
The Microbiology Mentorship Program package includes:
- A comprehensive guide to planning a mentorship program, with assessment checklists and sample documents needed.
- A mentoring plan for a short-term mentoring visit, including a list of supplies needed.
- A comprehensive explanation of media and reagents, procedures, quality control requirements, and process documentation for basic clinical microbiology laboratory operations.
- Comprehensive guide to quality management systems covering all the essential elements of the quality system to correct and prevent errors and create opportunities for continuous improvement.